Net Control Stations are required to submit a report to the Net Manager within 48 hours. Drafted in Radiogram message format, this is a summary of the activity and check-ins for a given net session. The information collected is used to generate statistics for the DFW Metroplex Traffic Net and, when compiled and summarized, submitted to the Section Traffic Manager on a monthly basis. At the very least, this report adheres to the following basic content and format.
DFW <session>1 MM2a/DD2b/<check-ins>2c/<traffic>2d/<minutes>2e <callsign>/NCS3 <callsign>/<liaison>4 … <general_check-ins>5 …
- Designates whether the session pertains to Early or Late; whichever is relevant.
- Number string
- The month is denoted by its numerical equivalent (e.g. “6” for June).
- The day is denoted by its numerical equivalent (the local date, rather than UTC).
- The number of check-ins, including the NCS and all liaisons, who participated and were recognized by Net Control.
- The volume of message traffic passed during the net; include inbound and outbound traffic as well as net reports, SAR/PSHR, etc.)
- Number of minutes during which the net was active.
- The Net Control Station includes themselves in the listing of participating stations
- A complete accounting of any and all liaisons followed by a forward stroke and the net or organization they represent
- The balance of the report contains a listing of all general check-ins, regardless of whether they bring traffic and/or announcements. Everyone who checks-in and is acknowledged should be listed.
Occasionally, unfamiliar stations will check-in to the net. If you encounter a check-in whom you do not recognize, inquire as to their name and home QTH. Include this information in the report following the pattern: “KE5HYW/HERMAN/GARLAND”. Following this practice will document new and visiting participants for the benefit of the manager and your future reference.
Thanks to Herman, KE5HYW, who originally authored these instructions.